The Robinson House dates back to circa 1723. The most famous of its inhabitants was Colonel Thomas Robinson. His father, an Irish Quaker immigrant bought the house in 1740. Colonel Robinson inherited the home from his father. He lived here many years with his wife, Sarah, and their children.
Thomas Robinson, although a Quaker by birth, turned to the Episcopal Church in Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania, because of his part in the Revolutionary War. His war campaigns earned him the medal “Order Cincinnatus”, equivalent to the Medal of Honor. He was wounded at the Battle of the Brandywine, and, in retirement, earned the title of General.
The Robinson home played host to many famous people. The Colonel hosted Light Horse Harry Lee, who became his brother-in-law; George Washington; and the Marquis de Lafayette and others.
The Colonel was in Philadelphia when the Constitution was signed and he marched in the parade. The Thomas Robinson family sold the house in 1851.
The second Robinson family, Charles Robinson, (no relation to the first), owned the house in 1907. The home was in serious disrepair at that time and Charles restored the home, adding the Doric columns presently on the porch. The Charles Robinson family sold the house to Worth Steel around 1917 and relocated his family to Hartzfeld in PA.
The home was known as the ‘Naamans Tea House’ for many years from 1914-1964.
The State of Delaware acquired the house in 1970.
The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 as a State owned museum.
The Naamans Kill Questers managed the house from 1976-2002.
Robinson House Historical Marker
Robinson House in 1907
Robinson House in 1953